Wednesday, December 9, 2015

I'm a bastard



For the last two class periods, our International Relations class played risk. The class was divided into teams, and it became a free for all to complete many different missions. Each side was given an objective to complete in order to "win". What began as a divided class, quickly broke up into desperate nations trying to win, but at least survive at all costs. I found this game to be a relatively accurate and fun version of World Politics. The version of risk we played in class, was much more reflective of international relations then the original game. The reason that diplomat’s risk was so much more realistic, was because every team had separate motivations and goals, the unpredictability of the dice, and rules on warfare which makes the simulation parallel events in a way that is much more likely to occur in reality.
               My personal experience in this game was very different than that for most other people, and I’d like to reflect on what occurred in the game first. I started out on the yellow team with a certain objective, but was given a secret mission as well. I could start a schism, and create a new team if I wanted to. While this divide was very unfavorable for both my original yellow team, and my new pink team, it ended up effected a lot of how I played the game. While throughout, I was interested in playing and wining as pink, the yellow team was wildly successful as well. On top of coming very close to victory as the yellow team, I also formed a bond with them. However, in one of the final rounds, when it became clear that the yellow team was going to be frozen, and had already used their secret power, plus the distribution of property was favorable for me, I finally decided that it was time to break off. In a pleasant surprise, many old my teammates, whom I had not even discussed the schism with followed me as well. I'd like to hope that it was because I proved myself a good and clever leader, and not simply because they deemed the yellow team a lost cause. However, my schism, incidentally not only likely kept the yellow team from wining, it also allowed the black team to win. Ultimately, neither of my teams, won, however I felt that both played the game the best and most strategically. We didn’t blunder into dumb battles losing lots of troops, we used persuasion to often get what we wanted, and our political board was always to our advantage (we sometimes were at war with people that were still allies with us, haha). In reality, before the schism, I had helped lead the yellow team into a place as a world power. Despite our humble beginnings, we were the only team that could realistically rival the blue team in terms of troops and territories despite being dealt a much poorer starting position. At the end of the day, it was a great and fun game and I found it to be realistic and I believe that it is worthwhile enough to keep doing in this class moving forward.
               There were many aspects of this game that I found to be good simulations of world problems. I think that the best happened when I was talking to Ben Soder. He said something along the lines of, “What we are doing makes sense, but I just can’t make everyone else do what I want”. This is so realistic. Just like how everyone had different objectives in the game, in real life, everyone also has different objectives. While America might see the issue one way, and try to convince others to follow, other say, Iraq might see the issue totally differently. What makes sense to one group does not always to another. Even if both sides have sound logic, values and the goals that ultimately are decided based on these values may be very different. This can be very frustrating and lead to violence and wars. This ultimately came to fruition in the game, because each team had different objectives, and thus, different values on what was important. At the end of the game, I thought that I had swindled the blue team. They agreed to give me two countries in return for two troops and sanctioning their war with red. This seemed like a great deal to me because, my goal was to gain as much territory as possible and this deal, would have won me the game. However, the blue was focused on the Ukraine, so the countries they gave me amounted to nothing to them, while the sanctions were key to their goals. While in this situation, both sides profited, it’s a great example of how different values effect the choices we make. 
I also loved how the different teams, had to deal with issues of the value of war and peace. While both have their advantages, they have their drawbacks too. If you enter into an alliance with someone, it takes two complete turns to declare war on them. And similarly, being at war while, it is the only way to accomplish your goals, it is also a dangerous time where you can lose it all. Based on this each team had to very strategically make decisions about allies and wars.  
               I also loved the unpredictability of the game. The dice make the game much more realistic. I play a very conservative game for the most part. I only attack when it provides me a distinct advantage, and I will never engage in a large scale battle unless it is absolutely necessary. This is because of the unpredictability of the dice. Just because you have a lot more troops then another nations, does not mean you will always win. This is very accurate to real life, where smaller nation shave been able to fend off much stronger military forces. Examples are Vietnam and the American Revolution. The dice, were random and made each attack a difficult and unpredictable risk.
               Finally I loved how you can only attack the countries next to you. While this is not nearly as true today with the incredible powerful navies and planes, it still has a lot of good base in it. Due to supplies and troop movement, countries around the world can’t really just move an army and begin in invasion far away. Instead it is your neighbors that you need up fighting and having disputes with. This was really well simulated in the game, because you could only attack spaces right next to your country.


               While I loved the game and simulation there were definitely flaws. Among these were that it does not take into account modern weapons such as missiles or any sort of economy or industrial complex. However, on the whole, the game is about international relations and dealing with others, and that’s ultimately what this class is really about, and to that end, this game does a fantastic job simulating those issues and difficulties.        


-William Chandler

9 comments:

  1. Will,

    Very thoughtful and well-written post. You recount a lot of great reflections about your experience playing the game and the strategies you used to achieve your ultimate goals. Your personal recounts, especially about the deal you sparked with us, (the Blue team) made me realize a few mistakes that I made while playing the game. When we agreed to make that deal, we were so focused on getting Ukraine, we didn’t care about the territories we were prepared to give your team. In retrospect, this was a poor decision. While yes, the ultimate goal for the Blue team was to control Ukraine and be granted sanctions for our wars, we were too focused on our own goals and didn’t take into account that the deal we had made with you had the possibility of benefitting your team more than ours (giving up our control over two states in exchange for a couple of armies is not the most even exchange). While we were both getting what we wanted, I, and my team, failed to enact a strategy to reach our ultimate goal of winning. If nothing else, the game definitely taught me that in the world of international politics, it is crucial to always be on your toes because you never know the intentions of your opponents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Emily. This is one thing that occurred to me but I forgot when we had our short discussion at the end of class. I think that all of the teams could have thought a bit more about what other's goals might be since they different so much from one another. Still, you guys came quite close to winning!

      Delete
    2. Ultimately Emily, I think that that trade helped you guys a lot in putting you in a position to win. However, as the professor pointed out, it also furthered our goals a lot. Which gets to the point, of relative versus ultimate power. However, I think that what ultimately really occurred, was that that final round, was happening at the conclusion of class, and as such, people knew the game was going to end soon, and as such, people began blindly pushing their own agenda's and ignoring the goals of others because we knew we were all in crunch time. I think that if we had had another class period or two, people would have continued to play a much more calculated, intelligent game.

      Delete
  2. Will,

    Thanks for the feedback. Including an industrial complex woudl be interesting (having some countries be resources or cities was meant to do that but didn't really) and the missile idea is something I will consider.

    You mention how you think your teams played as best they could. What do you think this says about international politics? Does skill and smarts always help or are there other aspects (money, military, dumb luck) that also play a role?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that in order to be successful, requires a lot more than skill or smarts. The world is so, large, and people are so different and able to come up with ways of resistance, that it is impossible to control large tracts of people for an extended period of time. If you look at some of the World's greatest generals and dictators, like Alexander the Great, Napoleon and even Hitler, it becomes clear that all of these men were geniuses and excellent tacticians. However, all of them ultimately had their empires crash around them. The world is so full of variables, and natural unpredictability, that even making the right choice every time, will not guarantee success (Rob Stark?). If you look at our yellow team, we made some really smart choices and played a conservative yet intelligent game. However, we ultimately were frozen by black and our nation was divided crippling it (whooops). I think that both of these are relatively good examples of how other forces can usrup great tactics and decision making. However, I think that civil unrest and revolts could be added to the game to make it even more realistic. But ultimately in the real World, you are playing with a rigged deck. There are a lot more factors that contribute to success and failure in the real world, and as such there are a lot of factors that play a role in success or failure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree that the game could be applied to many different aspects of the real world. I was on the black team and our objective was to create as many alliances as possible and eventually we ended up winning from creating enough alliances. Now this might not be as worldly applicable because I doubt a nation would be able to make countries friendly enough to everyone, to the point that there is no more war. But I do think that the randomness of the dice was a great point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I agree that, just as we saw in the game, it is much easier to make many alliances then it is to stop war, I think that this is true in the real world. Look at Switzerland. They are famously neutral. While they may not be able to stop all wars in general, they have so many alliances/a history of peace, that they are all but exempt from going to war, or being attacked.

      Delete
  5. Hi Will,

    Great post!! It is so interesting to read about your perspective throughout the game; I remember, as part of blue, making that deal with you about two countries and two troops. You pointed out how this made you think of how each team/state values different things, and while I agree, it also reminds me of how teams/states identify others. The title of your post speaks to this; because you split from your group and took the majority of it with you, as soon as my team made the deal with yours we second guessed that decision because we didn't trust you. Your action of schism denoted betrayal in a sensr (even though, you actually were just making your best move) so the other teams viewed you with distrust. This reinforced constructivist approach for me, about how interactions shape identities which shape IR, and I was wondering how the game influenced your political theory outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will,
    Nice post. I most agree with your point about unpredictability--it's just impossible to know who's going to win. It relates back to the realism reading at the beginning of the semester, which said that just because you have a stronger army doesn't mean you're going to win. While the dice is completely random, it does effectively simulate the unknown in IR.
    Also, I give you tons of credit for your individual play. You closely monitored the situation and you knew when it was best to break off. You almost won with the Pink team, and that was pretty amazing.
    Also with the alliances, you make a good point--the fact that it takes two turns to break an alliance makes much more sense because in the real world no one is going to break an alliance with the snap of a finger.
    And you talked about different nations having different values and how that can lead to war. It's so true today. I do think it would have been more realistic if we were able to know the other team's objectives because in that sense we would be able to understand what they want. Today, the only way a conflict is going to be resolved peacefully or at least not in an ugly way is if the two sides see each other's differing beliefs/values. In Risk, not knowing these values was frustrating, and as you mentioned led to wars.
    Overall, really good post. I agree with a lot of your points--this was an accurate analysis of the game.

    ReplyDelete