Monday, October 5, 2015

Can our Culture Justify the Response to the 9/11 Attacks and Iraq War?


Can our Culture Justify the Response to the 9/11 Attacks and the Iraq War?

In my Cross Cultural Psychology class, we have been talking a lot about variances across cultures. The idea is that people from different cultures can view ideas, objects and concepts vastly different from those belonging to other cultures. Although this concept seems fairly obvious considering there are many things in American culture that we don’t see, for example, in East Asian cultures and vice versa, I never really understood how much variance there was across cultures. Parenting styles, abilities to assess oneself, work ethics, and alternate views on societies as a whole are just some examples of ways that the American culture influences our ideas, beliefs and views. The way American cultures influences these ideas, beliefs and views are vastly different from the way East Asian cultures, for example, shape their own ideas. Many of these differences across cultures can be explained by categorizing these societies into two groups: the individualist society, which is associated with American culture, and the collectivist society, which is associated with East Asian culture. In individualist societies, typically, the emphasis is on the self. The idea is that we do things because it will benefit us, as the individual, focusing less on the larger picture of society. In contrast, in collectivist societies, the emphasis is on the group. The idea, is that our actions affect an entire group and thus when making decisions, its important to think about the consequences of our actions as affecting the entire group/culture/society, not the individual.

At this point, you’re probably thinking, what does this have to do with national security, war or liberal imperialism? Well, I bring up the concept of cultural differences because I wanted draw a possible comparison between our culture and the way we respond to attacks. More specifically, looking at the United States’ response to the 9/11 attacks. First, I would like to propose this idea: The United States’ response to the 9/11 attacks was an individualistic response. When the Twin Towers were hit, we, as a nation, took these attacks as a personal attack on us, as individuals; it was as if the attack was directed at each of us individually. Therefore, our immediate response on such a personal attack was to defend ourselves. This is the same case in day-to-day life. If we feel threatened or attacked by someone, or that someone could potentially be harmful, I will speak for myself and say that my natural instinct is to do whatever I can to protect myself. I think that the United States had the same reaction to the 9/11 attacks, however their response was on a much larger scale (than any attack one can compare to an attack on a single individual.) So my question now is can we justify our reaction to the 9/11 attack by blaming our individualistic culture?

I would like to insert here that I recognize that there are many other factors that go into the reasons why we went into Iraq. However, I am focusing on the 9/11 attacks because it sparked this sense of fear and anxiety throughout the country. The United States had been involved in numerous wars over the 20th century. However, we had never seen an attack like this on our own soil.

I would argue that, hypothetically speaking, if a country that was considered to be a collectivistic society had been attacked on the same scale as the 9/11 attacks, the response would have been very different. The emphasis in collectivistic societies is that one’s actions affect their society as a whole. Thus, I believe that this strong emphasis on community would have resulted in a different reaction (from the United States’ reaction to the 9/11 attacks) from this collectivist society under attack. Instead of viewing the attack as being a personal one, I believe that the attack would be viewed as one that affects the whole community, and in order to respond, there would need to be some kind of coming together of the society. War would not be waged until all pros and cons were weighed, and it was agreed that a war was the best possible option for society.


I understand that there are a lot of hypotheticals in this paper and with hypothetical situations there is often a lot of room for interpretation, debate, and inaccuracy. However, I wanted to bring up the question: if culture is so influential in society (and from much research demonstrated by my cross cultural psychology class, culture is vital) with regards to popular culture, beliefs and ideals, could it also be responsible for our decision making in times of war? If so, is this a fault of us as citizens of such a society, or is it inevitable, and something that we must accept and take as is?

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Emily, great post - you pose a really interesting connection between cross cultural psychology and international relations!! It's very creative and original, and I think it provides an enriching perspective on 9/11. Americans definitely did take it as a personal attack but at the same time, we rallied together with a renewed sense of patriotism which reinforced our sense of community. It was from that united place of patriotism that we went forth into Iraq, so in answer to your question of whether culture could be responsible for our decision, I say that we acted both on our individualistic cultural tendencies and on a collective feeling of patriotism. In this way, I think the answer to your second question is that no it is not inevitable that we act only on individualistic tendencies. Thank you for asking these interesting questions - what is your own take on it? Do you think it is inevitable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine,

      You pose a very interesting point, that the idea of patriotism is one that collectively brought our society together in response to the attacks, and I completely agree with you. It’s interesting that you ask for my own opinion because I’m kind of torn on these questions myself. I think on the one hand, American, individualistic culture played a large role in our society’s reaction to 9/11. And in a sense, I believe that the influence of culture I talk about in my post is inevitable because it is not something that we are necessarily aware of. But on the other hand, I think that it’s unfair to blame any wrong doings or any actions that we (as a country) are not proud of on our culture. We as human beings make decisions and therefore must accept consequences for our actions, to blame our culture, seems almost like a cop-out for accepting responsibility.

      Delete
  2. Emily,
    Great post. Very captivating. I think the U.S. acted on the notion of a personal response, as you said. I also think that they acted on notions of patriotism and identity; our identity has been to promote freedom, spread democracy, and never back down. We always want to fight as hard as we can and never want to seem weak. That being said, I think U.S. society didn't have much of a voice, for they feared that an oppositional response would indicate notions of support for terrorism. Also, do you think the Bush administration did view war as the best option, or did they feel obliged to go to war? Do you think society influenced Bush? I agree with a lot of your points but I think there should be a clarification between the White House and civilians.
    Awesome job; I really liked this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex,

      Thanks I appreciate your comment! I completely agree that the United States’ sense of patriotism played a great role in our decision to go to war. I guess what I’m trying to ask is whether there is something inherent in our individualistic culture that really pushed us to go to war after the attacks? Because American citizens are known to be patriotic, could we say that this patriotism is because of the history of America? Or because of our individualistic culture? I would argue that it is both, but a large part of it stems from our individualistic culture. Because our country was attacked, the individual American’s pride along with the country’s pride was hurt and thus we felt obligated to retaliate.

      You pose two very interesting questions that I’m a little torn about. I think that the Bush administration believed war was the best option and I also think they felt like they were obligated to go to war. The American people wanted justice after 9/11. As the elected leader of the country, it was Bush’s job to listen to the American people. So in one sense, yes, I do think that he felt obligated to go to war because of how strongly the American people reacted to the 9/11 attacks. On the other hand, I also think he thought war was the best option for the four reasons Debs and Monteiro give in their article.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post. I love the fact that you were able to tie in topics from different classes(go liberal arts). And as a fellow cultural psych student I completely know what you are talking about and think this is a great question when looking at this topic. However, b/c this situation is so hypothetical, I think it leaves a lot open to interpretation. I think that Katherine makes a good point, wasn't our final reaction to Iraq collective? I think that we did not react as expected, because as terrible as 9/11 was, it actually really brought our nation together, which is not what the terrorists wanted. I think, that they thought, they we would have more of an individual response, and instead of coming together and helping and supporting each other, we'd turn on each other driven by our own fear and seeking self protection. But instead we came together as a community.
    Also, if EA cultures were so collective, shouldn't we see more democracies in Asia? These are just a few small critiques on a mostly superb post. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will,

    I’m glad you understand the comparison being in cross-cultural psychology also! You bring up a lot of really valid points and I do agree with you, 9/11 in many ways brought Americans together and I agree that this is something that we would be more likely to see in a collectivist society. However, I think that our response in terms of how to retaliate against such an attack was an indicator of our individualistic society. This idea that I talk about in my post about the American people’s response coming from a defensive place, as though the attack was inflicted on them personally, seems like a characteristic of an individualistic society.

    I wish I did have an answer to your question about why there aren’t more democracies in Asia, you bring up a very valid question. You would think there would be considering this emphasis in many East Asian cultures on collectivism. I guess this may be one large area in which my comparison falls short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was puzzled by this, and wanted to try to explain this, because otherwise it seems like a very solid argument, so this is what I came up with. I think, that perhaps, since most of the research is done in the more advanced nations such as China and Japan, that might influence how we see East Asian Cultures. Just as WEIRD is a problem in the West and w/ America. But perhaps there is a similar bias in Asia, with most of the studies taking place in Japan and China (which are democratic and Communist) so perhaps your theory isn't lacking in that regard. Great work.

      Delete
  5. Emily,
    I like how you brought in your studies from another class, and more specifically our countries social structure, into this piece. I definitely think the our country would have taken more time to make a decision if our social structure was group oriented. I think sometimes as a country we like to see ourselves as untouchable, invincible, and better than others. I think this gets us into trouble too often. 9/11 made us realize that we weren't safe, that other people could hurt us. I think the US was built on people coming together from different places and taking a stand against being penalized for what they believe in. I believe this instilled a societal sense of individualism.
    Very cool post.
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete